"Creep through the swamp to meet the only enemy the Covenant fear."
343 Guilty Spark is the sixth level in Halo SPV3.
This level takes place on Installation 04, in a Flood Containment Facility. The first chapter of the level is set in a swamp and the second chapter, "The Flood" is set in the Alpha Halo containment facility. The third chapter is outside the containment facility. In this chapter, John-117 is dropped from Echo 419 to search for Captain Jacob Keyes who has been out of contact for over 12 hours. Soon, John-117 stumbles upon a structure and ventures within it, only to find out that the Marines accompanying the Captain have been slaughtered by an unknown force. After realizing the fate of the Marines, John fights his way out to the swamp and encounters a questionable ally.
Overview & Background
The mission takes place in a facility deep inside a swamp, where the main objective is to locate Captain Keyes and call out for evac. However, Covenant are seen running away from unknown attackers. Throughout the mission you encounter the Flood for the first time, as well as a new weapon known as the M247 Machine Gun.
There are 5 loadouts available for the player to choose at the beginning of the level:
|Loadout||Armour Upgrade||Grenades||Primary Weapon||Secondary Weapon|
|Saboteur||Health Regen||Frag Grenades (4)||BR54HB/GL Battle Rifle (36+360 reserve ammo and 6 grenades)||M7/S Submachine Gun (60+600 reserve ammo)|
|Grenadier||MA5E/GL Assault Rifle (32+320 reserve ammo and 6 grenades)||M6G Pistol (8+80 reserve ammo)|
|Stealth||BR54HB/S Battle Rifle (36+252 reserve ammo)||M7/S Submachine Gun (60+600 reserve ammo)|
|Marksman||M393 Designated Marksman Rifle (15+105 reserve ammo)||MA5E Assault Rifle (32+320 reserve ammo)|
|Breacher||M91 Shotgun (8+16 reserve ammo)||None|
- There are 9 terminals scattered throughout the level
- During Jenkins' Helmet Cam recording of the Pelican ride, the song Shreddin' is replaced by an instrumental version of Rolling Stone's Paint It Black. This is a reference to the developer commentary in the Halo 3 Legendary Edition bonus disk, where Marty O'Donnell revealed that Paint it Black was originally planned to be licenced for use in the cutscene.
- Upon encountering the AWOL Marine and walking a distance away from him, a loud gunshot can be heard and the Marine can now be found dead on the floor. This is another reference to the developer commentary in the Halo 3 Legendary Edition bonus disk, where Joseph Staten revealed the above scenario to be an idea early on in the level's development.
- Interestingly enough, the AWOL Marine only has a few shots left in his pistol's magazine and will continue to fire the empty weapon without reloading (implying that he has completely run out of ammo). How he manages to conjure up the additional pistol shot to commit suicide with is unknown.
- This level is the last time you will be using loadouts.
- The Flamethrower is first introduced in this level in a secret area, alongside Johnson's datapad.
- This mission, along with None Left Behind, are the only missions in the game to feature Marine versus Flood combat.
- With the addition of None Left Behind, The Commander and The Commander: Evolved in the SPV3.2 update, this mission, along with The Library, feature the only level designs in the game that are not reused for another mission.
|v • d • e||Levels in SPV3|
|The Pillar of Autumn • Halo • The Truth and Reconciliation • The Silent Cartographer (The Silent Cartographer: Evolved) • Assault on the Control Room • 343 Guilty Spark • The Library • Two Betrayals • Keyes|