The Type-26 Ground Support Aircraft, more commonly identified as the Banshee, is an atmospheric craft that is typically used for reconnaissance, ground support, and ground attack missions. The front of the craft is lightly armored and while not particularly vulnerable to small arms, can be brought down easily by concentrated fire from infantry.
Overview & Background
In most designs, the cowling of the craft is purple in colour and acts as an outer shell. It is equipped with two wings which terminate in a propulsion jet and an anti-gravity pod, leaving behind a signature vaporous exhaust trail while flying.
The craft is capable of achieving velocities over 100 kilometres per hour (62 mph) and reaching an altitude of up to 300 meters. The onboard propulsion system has the craft constantly in motion. In addition to its versatile design, the Banshee is capable of performing complex manoeuvres, such as aileron rolls and flips.
- The Banshee is a very fast and nimble aircraft, capable of evading most weaponry with relative ease.
- The Banshee could gain altitude and attack enemies hiding behind cover in a 'dive-bomb' style attack.
- The twin plasma cannons make good work against weaker enemies and shields while the Fuel Rod Gun damages heavy units and vehicles. Combine, the Banshee packs a punch for a small aircraft.
- The Banshee is flimsy and incredibly fragile. Small arms fire is enough to threaten it whilst heavier weaponry can outright one shot it.
- The Banshee has limited hovering capabilities which can be a mixed blessing, whilst it slows the vehicle enough to aim and shoot at the target, the Banshee could only go straight, forcing the player to do strafing runs to attack the same target repeatedly.
- In Celtic mythology, a Banshee is a woman spirit who wails for the death of a particular person before they die. The Banshees have to steal souls from people to live. The high-pitched sound made by the Banshee in Halo is a reference to this.
- Unlike in Halo CE, the Banshee can now hover in place, which was a feature in later Halo titles.
|v • d • e||Covenant vehicles in SPV3|
|Ghost • Shadow (Fuel Rod) • Wraith (Anti-Air) • Banshee (Interceptor) • Shade (Fuel Rod) • Phantom • Spirit • CCS-class Battlecruiser • ORS-class Heavy Cruiser • CAS-class Assault Carrier|