The HRUNTING/YGGDRASIL Mark IX Armor Defense System, also known as the Mantis, is a cut armored fighting vehicle from Halo SPV3.
Overview & Background
The Mantis is a powered exoskeleton armor defense system similar to the Cyclops. However, where as the Cyclops was designed only for labor and modified to function in combat, the Mantis was created specifically for combat as an evolution of an earlier model. It is equipped with several weapon and defense systems, including armor plating, energy shielding, two weapon pods on either side of the cockpit, and a stomp ability. The weapon pods typically contain a machine gun on the right pod and a five-shot rocket launcher on the left pod, but these can be replaced with other weapons.
- Effective at long range
- Very weak health
It was planned alongside the Grizzly. There was going to be a section on T&R where the player would have been able to use it at the gravity lift. Eventually, the developers weren't able to get it to the quality bar that they wanted during the prototype phase. There were also weird issues with trying to save the game, like the game would say that the area wasn't safe even though it was.
- The Mantis first appeared in Halo 4.
- The Mantis shares its name with the Type-27 Anti-Aircraft Cannon.
- There was going to be either a Flood variant or a Flood controlled Mantis for the cut level The Commander.
- Hrunting was a sword given to Beowulf in the ancient poem "Beowulf."
- Yggdrasil was the mythical tree of life that connected the nine worlds in Norse mythology.
- The Mantis was going to appear in T&R